KARTS Passenger Policies
For your safety and comfort and for that of all of our passengers;
passengers are required to observe the following policies when riding KARTS:
1. Request for transportation should be made 48 hours prior to when transportation is needed. Requests received without 48 hours prior notice will be granted if possible. The sooner a trip is scheduled the better, but no further than 30 days in advance. (Time frames may differ for sponsoring agencies such as DSS).
2. Please be ready to go at least 60 minutes prior to your scheduled pick-up time. Once the vehicle has arrived the driver can wait no more than 5 minutes for passengers to board.
3. If a vehicle arrives to pick you up and you do not ride for any reason it is considered a No-Show. General public passengers are responsible for the cost of any no-show fee(s).
4. Schedule changes are to be handled through the KARTS’ office or through the appropriate agency office at all times. Passengers are asked not to make arrangements with drivers. Cancellations may not be relayed by drivers. Requests for service, including changes in destination, must be called into KARTS office.
5. Passengers with appointments in Raleigh, Wake Forest, and Durham should not schedule appointments earlier than 10:30 A.M. Passengers with appointments in Chapel Hill should not schedule appointments earlier than 11:00 A.M. KARTS must depart Chapel Hill at 3:30 P.M. and depart Raleigh, Wake Forest, and Durham no later than 4:00 P.M. with or without all passengers.
6. If you are riding as a will-call you must call the office when you are ready for pick-up. After you contact the office it my take up to 60 minutes for your vehicle to arrive.
7. If you have prescheduled your return trip and you will not be ready at the scheduled time, it is your responsibility to notify KARTS. Failure to do so will result in a no-Show. In this case, your return trip will be made a will-call.
8. KARTS’ drivers can assist passengers on and off the vehicle, and to and from the door of their pick-up and drop-off destination. Drivers are not permitted to assist passengers inside homes or other buildings. Drivers can assist non-ambulatory passengers in navigating suitable ramps, however, they are not permitted to push or pull wheelchairs up or down steps.
9. KARTS’ drivers are not permitted to stop for restroom breaks or otherwise while in route; only to pick up or discharge passengers. In the event there is a medical reason a passenger needs to stop for breaks, passengers are asked to contact the KARTS’ office.
10. Passengers are expected to be responsible for their own personal hygiene while on board KARTS’ vehicles.
11. If you are paying with cash, please have the exact fare ready when boarding. For those who are using agency tickets or FareKards, please have them ready upon boarding. The full fare is due on the first leg of the trip.
12. ALL passengers must use safety belts while riding in KARTS’ vehicles. Children required by N.C. law must be properly secured in an approved child restraint system. KARTS does not provide child safety seats.
13. Non-ambulatory passengers must permit drivers to completely secure the wheelchair using the 4-point tie-down system and be secured with lap and shoulder restraints. It is advisable for non-ambulatory passengers to transfer to a regular seat if at all possible. In any event, the mobility device must be secured.
14. KARTS’ drivers are not permitted to transport passengers with bodily fluids on their person (must be in sealed container). In the event of an on-board emission, drivers will take the passenger back to his/her origination or to their destination; whichever is closer.
15. Please limit conversation with drivers to any instructions necessary when boarding/leaving the vehicle. Conversations between passengers should be held in a normal tone so as not to disrupt other passengers or the driver. The use of profanity is prohibited.
16. Physical contact with the driver or with other passengers is not permitted. Passengers are asked to refrain from public displays of affection and/or any sexual activities while on board the KARTS’ vehicle.
17. Passengers are asked to stay seated until the vehicle has come to a complete stop at one’s destination. Passengers are asked not to rest their feet on the seats, and to keep their hands and arms inside the vehicle. Destruction of KARTS’ property will result in legal action.
18. Passengers are asked to keep the aisles clear of obstructions such as groceries or other personal belongings. Passengers may be charged an additional fee for excessive bags.
19. The use of, possession of, and/or sale of alcohol or illegal drugs is not permitted on any KARTS’ vehicles. KARTS’ drivers have the authority to deny service to any person thought to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
20. The carrying of concealed weapons is not permitted on KARTS’ vehicles. KARTS’ drivers have the authority to deny service to persons carrying weapons.
21. Smoking, vaping, eating, and/or drinking are not permitted on KARTS’ vehicles.
22. The use of music playing devices is permitted with the proper headphones and at an appropriate volume. The driver may ask that you turn down the volume if it becomes a driving distraction.
23. The use of cell phones is permitted as long as conversations are held to a minimum and at a reasonable volume. The driver may ask that you not talk on the phone if it becomes a driving distraction.
24. Drivers have the authority to deny service to anyone they deem at the time to be violent, intoxicated, or hazardous to themselves, other passengers, or the driver. In the event a passenger does become violent the police will be notified immediately.
25. Passengers are expected to have a suitable driveway. If it is hazardous for the vehicle to navigate unsuitable driveways, the passenger will be asked to meet the vehicle at the end of the driveway or roadway.
26. Passengers under the age of 13 must be accompanied by an adult.
27. Abusive or profane language will not be tolerated. Any threats made toward the driver, other passengers or office staff will result in an immediate 30-day service suspension. Multiple violations of this policy may result in permanent suspension.
These policies are in effect in order to protect the employees of KARTS and passengers. All passengers have a right to safe, efficient transportation, and a responsibility to do their part to make sure that this is the case for everyone. Failure to observe these policies could result in temporary or permanent suspension of KARTS’ privileges. KARTS will immediately report all illegal actions to the proper authorities.
Thank you for using KARTS and if you have any questions, please contact the office at 252-438-2573.